The Concord Consortium, a nonprofit research and development organization dedicated to transforming STEM education through technology, located in Concord, MA, and Emeryville, CA, is seeking a talented DevOps and Release Engineer to join our team to test innovative science, engineering, and math software for STEM education.
In this position you will:
- Be responsible for organizing, executing, and validating releases of software for a wide variety of cloud-based systems
- Be responsible for maintaining, updating, and monitoring our cloud servers and systems including AWS, Azure, and other substacks
- Work independently and contribute to the immediate team and to other teams (such as members of the Product, Development, and Project teams) across the organization
- Contribute to release management strategy and quality engineering discussions
Roles and responsibilities:
- Break down release tasks and estimate time required for deployment across systems
- Demonstrate increasing expertise in application domain and functional areas
- Design and maintain status dashboards of tests and uptime that support the SDLC
- Take ownership of release, monitoring, performance testing and security tasks and deliver without supervision while using discretion to seek help when necessary
- Apply principles of SDLC and methodologies like Lean/Agile/XP, CI, Software and Product Security, Scalability, Documentation Practices, refactoring, and Testing Techniques
- Write effective tests and/or automation to support releases so that crucial functional requirements are verified when updating code
- Collaborate with development team in bug fixing and build plans
- Collaborate with Quality Leaders in creating release plans
- Implement system-level security and intrusion testing
- Serve as an internal consultant on issues of security monitoring, security features of browsers and servers, and protection of data
- Implement Continuous Integration Systems and Development platforms for branch testing/deployment
- Support both product and back office systems in terms of monitoring and implementation
To accomplish this, you will need:
- 3 to 5 years’ experience with CI and release systems such as Jenkins, Travis, GitHub, CI/CD, Docker
- Experience with educational software, AWS Server setup and security, accessibility testing, performance testing, unit testing, and intrusion detection
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a STEM major (science, technology, engineering, or math) or equivalent experience
The Concord Consortium offers a rich variety of benefits, including up to four weeks’ vacation, medical and dental insurance, a generous TIAA-CREF retirement plan, and life and short- and long-term disability insurance. Our Concord, MA, location is just outside historic downtown Concord, next to the commuter rail stop. Our Emeryville, CA, location is in the heart of Emeryville, reachable from the BART station via the Emery Go Round shuttle.
Our work environment is casual and stimulating. Join us to be part of a creative community of geeks and science, math, and engineering fanatics. We have frequent technical and research discussions, sometimes including invited guests from local and distant nonprofits, tech groups, and more. We’re a creative, intelligent, happy bunch — check out our profiles at: concord.org/about/staff.
If you are authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer, and you have the required qualifications please email your resume and cover letter to hrjr+QAE@concord.org.
The Concord Consortium is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.