Explore how electric current works. Start at an atomic level and use interactive models to investigate how temperature can affect conductivity and resistivity in a substance by monitoring a virtual ammeter. Explore how factors such as resistivity and voltage affect the flow of electrons and learn about Ohm’s law.
Students will be able to:
- Explain how voltage is the driving force behind electron movement
- Define electric current as the number of electrons flowing through a wire over a given period of time
- Explain how conductivity and resistivity relate to electric current
- Infer the relationships between current, voltage, and resistance as described in Ohm’s Law (I = V / R)
- Explain how electricity can be converted to other forms of energy
The download for this activity will require 5 MB of disk space.