In this simulation you will investigate the effect of both genetic information and environmental factors on the health of sand-rats. Look at the sand-rats in the field on the left hand side.
- Use the magnifying glass to examine their genetic composition and identify which sand rats are at risk for diabetes.
- Identify the sand-rats' gender and whether they have diabetes.
Generate a question you would like to investigate and plan an investigation to answer your question. To perform your planned experiment,
- Use the hand to pick up sand-rats and place them into the pens for your experiment.
- Provide sugary or regular food to the sand rats in each pen.
- Click the Play button to run the simulation.
As you play the simulation, three kinds of data will be collected and shown in the graphs: the sand-rats' risk of diabetes (high vs. low), the sand-rats' gender (male vs. female), and the sand rats' weight. Use the Stop button to examine what happens to the sand-rats following the type of food provided at any point in time.