Ready to create innovative web and mobile applications for K-12 students and teachers? The Concord Consortium, an educational nonprofit with offices in Concord, MA, and Emeryville, CA, is seeking talented software developers to create innovative science, engineering, and math software for STEM education. As a software developer you will build components for these STEM education activities and create and improve systems for authoring, deploying, and reporting on them.
In this position you will:
- Write open-source code
- Work in sprints with a project leader and other developers
- Learn a project’s science, engineering, or math subject matter well enough to work effectively with the project leader
- Rotate among several projects, switching as needed
- Suggest new technology ideas to project leaders and developers
- Improve platform and deployment processes
- Optimize applications for maximum speed and scalability
- Participate in team discussions of software architecture and infrastructure
- Provide tools to help researchers access their project data, outputting data in different formats
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
To accomplish this you need:
- Experience with mathematical modeling of physical systems
- Confidence and collaborative skills to work in an agile environment
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent in CS, mathematics, or natural sciences
- At least two years of work experience
- Have completed a software project with a team of developers
- Ability to work independently when necessary
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Interest in creating superior educational software
You will be even more successful if you have experience with or interest in:
- Cloud-based data storage such as Firebase
- Automated testing (Cypress or equivalent)
- Git and Travis
- Science, math, data science, citizen science, or related field/applications
- Creating clean, usable, and beautiful user interfaces
- Designing well-structured applications that communicate through extensible APIs
- Cloud-based deployment, especially on Amazon Web Services or Heroku
- Working on an agile team
The Concord Consortium offers a rich variety of benefits, including up to four weeks’ vacation, medical and dental insurance, tuition reimbursement, a generous retirement plan, and life and short- and long-term disability insurance. Our Concord, MA, location is just outside historic downtown Concord, next to the commuter rail stop. Our Emeryville, CA, location is in the heart of Emeryville, reachable from the BART station via the Emery Go Round shuttle.
Our work environment is casual and stimulating. Join us to be part of a creative community of geeks and science, math, and engineering fanatics. We have frequent technical and research discussions, sometimes including invited guests from local and distant nonprofits, tech groups, and more. We’re a creative, intelligent, happy bunch — check out our profiles.
If you are authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer, and you have the required qualifications please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The Concord Consortium is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.