The Concord Consortium, a nonprofit research and development organization dedicated to transforming STEM education through technology, is looking for a Research Assistant specializing in STEM education, design-based research, and/or classroom-based research. The Research Assistant will be based in our Emeryville, CA, office, working with senior research personnel to assist with research on learning in formal and informal settings. The successful candidate will contribute to research on novel learning materials that integrate data, modeling, sensor-based laboratories, and software to help students achieve a deeper understanding of core ideas in biological and physical sciences.
- Collect data for research plans developed by senior staff using design-based research in middle and high school classrooms
- Conduct observations, interviews, and artifact analyses of student learning
- Analyze and code research data from audio and video sources using appropriate software
- Coordinate and work with teachers to implement our educational innovations
- Organize and keep careful records of research files and data, including digital video, audio, and paper documents
- Prepare lab materials, technology, and AV equipment for classroom trials
- Work effectively with a variety of staff, including curriculum developers, technology developers, assessment experts, and other staff across the organization
- Drive or commute to research data collection sites in the areas surrounding the Emeryville, CA, office
- Undergraduate degree or beyond in one of the science or engineering disciplines such as biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, cognitive science, educational technology, education, or equivalent
- Experience working with middle or high school students or youth in classroom settings
- Experience conducting interviews, classroom observations, and data collections
- Experience collecting and coding both qualitative and quantitative research data
- Ability to use educational technology fluently
- Familiarity with video cameras, video recording, and video editing software
- Good team player (willing to pitch in and do what needs to be done!)
- Excellent communication and writing skills
This is a grant-funded, 100% FTE position. The successful candidate will be required to work on site in Emeryville, California, and must be authorized to work in the United States.
The Concord Consortium offers a rich variety of benefits, including up to four weeks of vacation, medical and dental insurance, tuition reimbursement, a generous TIAA-CREF retirement plan, and life and long-term disability insurance. Our work environment is casual and stimulating. In general, we’re a creative, intelligent, happy bunch — check out our profiles
Please send your resume, cover letter, and a sample research paper to: hrjr+CARA@concord.org
The Concord Consortium is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.