The Concord Consortium is a nonprofit research and development organization dedicated to transforming STEM education through technology, located in Concord, MA, and Emeryville, CA. We are seeking an Associate Scrum Master to drive the development of research-based K-12 educational technology projects through implementation. As an Associate Scrum Master, you will work as a part of the software development team practicing Scrum Agile methodology. You will be responsible for collaborating with Project Managers and Product Owners to manage work in the backlog, write user stories, and triage and troubleshoot identified issues in the development of our educational technologies.
We’re looking for an organized professional with excellent communication and problem-solving skills, who embraces challenges, and is comfortable questioning the norm and sharing experiences that will make the team a high-performing unit.
This position is primarily a remote position with an opportunity to collaborate in person during occasional in-office meetings in our Concord, MA, office.
In this position you will:
- Facilitate regular Scrum events (standups, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc.) with two teams of software developers (5-6 members per team)
- Communicate between stakeholders and the software development team during technology design and development phases — including user story definition, user testing, and maintenance of the product backlog
- Drive consensus on technical decisions to satisfy project technology requirements to ensure delivery within project timelines
- Resolve conflicts, remove roadblocks, and negotiate compromises on schedule and feature scope
- Track and orchestrate software releases to match project deadlines
To accomplish this, you will need:
- Ability to manage complex problems in terms of people, processes, and technology to enable teams to deliver innovative software and technology for multiple projects
- Ability to exercise technical judgment to meet project technology goals within a given timeline
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- To be passionate about quality and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 1-3 years of experience in a project management or Agile product owner/scrum master role
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or another related field. Education professionals with suitable Agile and/or technology project management experience will also be considered.
You will be even more successful if you have:
- Experience with Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games
- Experience with user story management tools or other technical project management software
- Experience with Slack, Google Suite, and/or GitHub
- Certification as a Project Manager, Scrum Master, Product Owner, or equivalent work experience
- Experience in user interface and/or user experience design for educational technology or similar
The Concord Consortium offers a rich variety of benefits, including up to four weeks of vacation, medical and dental insurance, a generous TIAA-CREF retirement plan, and life and short- and long-term disability insurance.
Our work environment is casual and stimulating. Join us to be part of a creative community of geeks and science, math, and engineering fanatics. We have frequent technical and research discussions, sometimes including invited guests from local and distant nonprofits, tech groups, and more. We’re a creative, intelligent, happy bunch — check out our profiles at: concord.org/about/staff.
If you are authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer and you have the required qualifications, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Concord Consortium is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.