Software and DevOps Engineer
Ready to extend web applications for students and teachers and scale them to reach millions?
The Concord Consortium (https://concord.org), an educational nonprofit located in Concord, MA, and Emeryville, CA, is seeking a Software and DevOps Engineer to create innovative science, engineering, and math activities. Working with researchers and other members of the development team, you will also improve our deployment process and cloud architecture to help us scale the platform.
In this position you will:
- write open-source code
- work on weeklong iterations with a project leader and other developers
- learn a project’s science, engineering, or math subject matter well enough to work effectively with the project leader
- rotate among several projects, switching as needed
- suggest new technology ideas to project leaders and developers
- create and maintain your own open-source projects and contribute to others
- improve our team’s deployment processes
- participate in team discussions of software architecture and infrastructure
- keep current on the latest developments in cloud service architecture to ensure our applications can perform and scale effectively
- provide tools to help researchers access their project data
To accomplish this you need:
- experience writing database-driven web applications
- confidence and collaborative skills to work in an agile environment
- interest in improving development and delivery processes
- experience delivering applications on cloud-based services such as AWS
- experience automating build and deployment processes
- undergraduate degree in CS, mathematics, natural sciences, or equivalent experience
- to have completed a software project with a team of software developers
- ability to work independently when necessary
- good verbal and written communication skills
- minimum of two years’ experience beyond coursework
You will be even more successful if you have experience with or interest in:
- Ruby on Rails or a similar framework
- Docker, Git, and Linux
- designing well-structured applications that communicate through extensible APIs
- analytics tools such as Google Analytics and New Relic
- TDD or BDD
- science, math, or related fields
- working on an agile team
The Concord Consortium offers a rich variety of benefits, including up to four weeks’ vacation, medical and dental insurance, tuition reimbursement, a generous TIAA-CREF retirement plan, and life and short- and long-term disability insurance. Our Concord, MA, location is just outside historic downtown Concord, next to the commuter rail stop. Our Emeryville, CA, location is in the heart of Emeryville, reachable from the BART station via the Emery Go Round shuttle.
Our work environment is casual and stimulating. Join us to be part of a creative community of geeks and science, math, and engineering fanatics. We have frequent BYOB (Bring Your Own Bagged lunch) for technical demos, sometimes including invited guests from local and distant nonprofits, tech groups, and more. Themed potluck lunches occur several times per year (our taco bar for Cinco de Mayo is delish!). We're a creative, intelligent, happy bunch — check out our profiles.
If you are authorized to work in the United States, and have the required qualifications, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Concord Consortium is an EEO employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, race, religion, handicap, national origin, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status.