Postdoctoral Researcher in Cognitive Science or Learning Science
The Concord Consortium (http://concord.org), a nonprofit educational R&D organization based in Concord, MA, and Emeryville, CA, is looking for a full-time Postdoctoral Researcher specialized in cognitive science or learning science. The successful candidate will work in our Massachusetts office on the frontier of developing artificial intelligence that supports authentic scientific inquiry, engineering design, and computational thinking. We’re looking for a team player who is excited to work in a stimulating, technology‐rich environment to help make a difference in STEM education.
Responsibilities will include:
- Designing research plans to collect fine-grained data through learning software systems
- Working with teachers to execute research plans
- Using machine learning techniques developed in house to analyze data
- Conducting empirical studies to validate machine learning results
- Contributing to the development of machine learning algorithms and intelligent agents
- Publishing research papers based on these data and findings on peer‐reviewed journals
- Presenting at conferences
- Keeping abreast of the field in educational research and development
- Assisting in new proposal development
- Working together effectively with a variety of staff on multiple projects
- A Ph.D. in Learning Sciences, Cognitive Science, Computer Science, or the equivalent
- Research experience with innovative technologies for STEM teaching and learning
- Robust ability to think computationally
- Demonstrated ability to publish research papers
- Deep understanding of literature in STEM education, including computational thinking
- Clear experience and motivation to generate innovative approaches and solutions
- Demonstrated ability as a good team player, willing to pitch in and do what needs to be done
- Excellent communication skills
- Background or experience in STEM fields, education, or both
- Prior experience in machine learning
- Some programming skills
- Basic understanding of artificial intelligence (e.g., intelligent tutoring systems)
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter, curriculum vitae, a sample research paper, and a list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Concord Consortium offers a rich variety of benefits, including up to four weeks vacation, medical and dental insurance, tuition reimbursement, a generous TIAA-CREF retirement plan, and life, long-term and short-term disability insurance. Our Concord, MA, location is just outside historic downtown Concord, next to the commuter rail stop. Our Emeryville, CA, location is in the heart of Emeryville, reachable from the BART station via the Emery Go Round shuttle.
Our work environment is casual and stimulating. Join us to be part of a creative community of geeks and science, math and engineering fanatics. We have regular brown bag talks featuring invited scholars and luminaries and hold delectable themed meals and celebrations several times per year. In general, we’re a creative, intelligent, happy bunch — check out our profiles.
The Concord Consortium is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.